2 november 2011

Mashup of the surfing champions

Ever since I can remember, my favorite surfers have been Kelly Slater and Mick Fanning. With the latter being my most favorite. Despite this I still have the utmost respect for every single tour surfer out there from the legends to the new comers.

Ever since Kelly Slater started winning world titles from the age of 18 he was pretty much left unchallenged out in the water. Pretty much no one could match up to his skill, prowess and just plain sick surfing, that was until the Hawaiian born Andy Irons began competing on the World Tour.

The mans biggest feat was winning the World Title from Slater for three consecutive years, them being 2002, 2003 and 2004 respectively. Andy Irons was such a great surfer that the governer of Hawaii declared February 13th forever, "Andy Irons Day".

Sadly, Andy Irons passed away one year ago on November the 2nd, in a hotel room. He was found dead on his back with the sheets pulled right up to his chin. In the beggining it was claimed that Dengue Fever had claimed his life, but later autopsys show he had several drugs in his system at the time, including methamphetamine and metabolite of cocaine. Despite this, I doubt that would have killed the man. Hmmm..

With that being said, Andy, you were never in my top list of 5 favorite surfers, but you were most definately one of the top 5 in the world, and you had the results to prove it. May you rest in peace A.I.

Here's a link to a short film with A.I and some of his amazing surfing skills - http://vimeo.com/31417794

With that being said I would like to send a quick shout to to KELLY FUCKING SLATER! you did it, 11 times world champ CONGRATULATIONS DUDE!

Aloha

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar